How to Get a Handle on Saying It
Yes Person /JES-p3: (r) sen
- an affirmative* I really wanted you to say yes
- a human being * this is too difficult for one person to complete
Synonym: people pleaser, person who finds difficulty in saying the word no
I figured I’d look up the combo word “Yes Person” and give you “MY” definition of a person who is unable to say “NO”. I mean seriously, the condition starts at an early age and if you don’t get a handle on it, the suffering, burden, and hardship it can cause one is devastating to your health and welfare. You can’t sleep, you struggle with uncertainty, and making decisions become an effort. It can cause someone afflicted with “Yes Syndrome” to doubt their self-worth, and all this is for the sake of making someone “ELSE” happy. Okay, I’m being a little frivolous and tongue-in-cheek here but you get the point-“Not Being Able to Say No, Can Be Hazardous to Your Health”. READ MORE
“IN CASE YOU HAVENT NOTICED I’M…………………BLACK”
As a Black yoga instructor (as in African American) I think I’m uniquely qualified to conduct a survey among black women on “WHY MORE BLACK PEOPLE DON’T TAKE YOGA CLASSES”?
Top 6 answers in no particular order:
- The music is so “BORING”, I think I could fall asleep.
- As soon as I walk in the door “I feel out of place”.
- Black people “Don’t Do Yoga”.
- No one helps me when I know I’m doing that shit “WRONG”.
- All those women are skinny as hell, young, and dressed like they’re going to the club when they leave.
- NO ONE IN THAT DAMN ROOM IS BLACK!!!!!!!!!! Can we have a Black or Brown face in attendance; honestly anyone who looks remotely like me?
I feel they’re pain because some of it is my pain. I’ve been practicing yoga off and on since the 90’s, I got registered in 2013 as a yoga teacher and it’s been a Long, Lonely Road. With African Americans and Latino Americans being the largest racial and ethnic minorities in the United States, it really infuriates me (Translation-Pisses Me Off) that this is even an issue in 2016. We are quickly becoming a Minority Majority Nation but where’s the acknowledgement? Words such as Oblivious, Hypocritical, Invisible, and Unconscious come to mind because we are so “Overlooked” as a culture by the yoga community who appears “ASLEEP” at the wheel! READ MORE